httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: Let's get rid of .htaccess files :-)
Date Thu, 18 Jul 1996 10:39:56 GMT
Alexei Kosut writes:

 > I guess the question would then be as to how you identify .htaccess files.
 > Do you look for them at startup? If you have a lot of directories, that
 > could take a while. I suppose it could read each in once, the first time.
 > (it'd have to also store then which directories *didn't* have .htaccess
 > files, to avoid the extra stat for each request).

The obvious optimistation to make first would be to parse them all
at startup and hold them in an internal structure and then do a stat
on the file at each access rather than a full parse. I suspect that in
itself would be a considerable performance boost. If the file's newer
than it's cached contents then re-parse it.