httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Sussman <mydd...@vidya.com>
Subject Re: mod_negotiation gif/jpeg issues
Date Thu, 18 Jul 1996 00:02:45 GMT

> A friend using Apache 1.1 was telling me today about a site he just
> created that had every image available as GIF and JPG.  He wanted to make
> sure that Netscape and others got JPEGs and others got GIFs.  Without a
> VAR map Apache always sent the GIF so he had to write a program to create
> the hundreds of VAR maps that all said basically the same thing (*1)
>
> He thought a good solution would be to specify a default type map that
> would apply when a map isn't available and is built from a directory
> listing instead (so he could say treat all "image/jpeg" as qs=0.6 and
> "image/gif" as qs=0.5)
>
> Does this sound like a useful patch to anyone else?

This would make my day.  I have the same problem but I just have not been able
to find the time for it.

One thing I did notice at the time I looked at this was that the educated
guess apache makes when no var file is present is based on the order of
mime types in the client's Accept header.  The negotiotiation module goes
from left to right and chooses the first one it sees.  In Netscape's case,
gifs appear before jpegs in that header.

Anyway, I would love to have this kind of control over negotiotiation.  Please
go for it. :)

-adam