httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: Authentication API
Date Wed, 17 Jul 1996 20:32:19 GMT
>   I would like to provide an interface to allow editing/configuring
>   of these per_directory controls.
>
> OK... so you're trying to write a configuration interface.  Good.
>
> However, it seems to me that if this is what you're trying to do,
> it's better engineering to try to find an approach which is not limited
> to authentication and access control --- mod_mime and mod_dirs can be
> reconfigured per-directory as well, and they might as well be approachable
> through the same interface.

Agreed. My thought has been that tackling one portion of this might
lead to greater enlightenment.

> (My own somewhat sketchy thoughts on how to write such a thing were
> focused on having the reconfigurer parse and rewrite either .htaccess
> files or files in some sort of ConfigDir thing containing nothing but
> configuration files --- these latter things would presumably have one
> <Directory ...> or <Location ...> per file; the advantage of this over
> .htaccess is that they would not have to be parsed per request.

This calls for Deep Thought (tm). I had not considered taking
an approach to do away with .htaccess, but I am aware of the advantages.

> This would require something like mod_info to tell the reconfigurer
> what commands are allowed by the server as currently configured. so it
> could parse what it had written.  However, it doesn't get into issues
> of trying to unparse the modules' private internal data structures.

This is the area that has me stumped. It sounds like it is not
going to be possible in the current code?

> What's tough about parsing the modules' private internal data
> structures is that the are private --- by deliberate choice, I decided
> to make them private, meaning that no one else is supposed to be
> looking at that stuff, or tweaking it...).
>
> rst

My intent has not been to "tweak" it, but rather use the server's
parsing tools to get at information that it must know for every
request. My initial plan was to rewrite the .htaccess files, but
as you have pointed out many times, that is an area of the server
that could seriously benefit from reworking access control.

The more I learn of the API, the more I think that some ability
to communicate this stuff between modules would be _very_ useful.

For my edification, what was the reasoning to keep this info
private?