httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Authentication API
Date Wed, 17 Jul 1996 19:40:16 GMT
  I would like to provide an interface to allow editing/configuring
  of these per_directory controls.

OK... so you're trying to write a configuration interface.  Good.

However, it seems to me that if this is what you're trying to do,
it's better engineering to try to find an approach which is not limited
to authentication and access control --- mod_mime and mod_dirs can be
reconfigured per-directory as well, and they might as well be approachable
through the same interface.

(My own somewhat sketchy thoughts on how to write such a thing were
focused on having the reconfigurer parse and rewrite either .htaccess
files or files in some sort of ConfigDir thing containing nothing but
configuration files --- these latter things would presumably have one
<Directory ...> or <Location ...> per file; the advantage of this over
.htaccess is that they would not have to be parsed per request.

This would require something like mod_info to tell the reconfigurer
what commands are allowed by the server as currently configured. so it
could parse what it had written.  However, it doesn't get into issues
of trying to unparse the modules' private internal data structures.

What's tough about parsing the modules' private internal data
structures is that the are private --- by deliberate choice, I decided
to make them private, meaning that no one else is supposed to be
looking at that stuff, or tweaking it...).

rst