httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@en.muc.de>
Subject Re: Style options with indent
Date Wed, 17 Jul 1996 16:06:20 GMT
On 17 Jul 1996 16:05:12 +0200 in en.lists.apache-new-httpd you wrote:
> > Well, I've been looking at the enhancements made to newer versions of the
> > cvs scripts and having cvs run indent is not actually much of a problem
> > anymore. We could therefore have cvs reformat code before it gets
> > committed transparently as far as the committer is concerned.

> Actually, I wouldn't recommend that.  As much as I like indent for
> cleaning up old code, there are still a lot of "whitespace arrangement"
> (particularly around comments and blocks of code) that are better
> refined by a human perceptive of the context, rather than by a program.
> I am also paranoid enough not to trust indent without double-checking
> the results and recompiling -- I have never seen it err, but I am paranoid.

No, your aren't err and it is ok to be paranoid. Yesterday I just send my 50
KB mod_rewrite.c through the indent as described in this thread.  My first
impress was: fine, looks near the same as my personal style. Second impress
was: hell, what was done with my comments? A lot of comments were totally
destroyed, due to whitespace removal etc. Result: indent really not good for
automatically check in of sources, which were changed. Yes, it is really only
ok to use indent on old sources!!

Greetings,
                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
                                        rse@en.muc.de