httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: project plan
Date Tue, 16 Jul 1996 01:19:49 GMT
  In that case, all the people out there who are doing threaded code
  using user-mode threaded Java implementations (the only kind that
  exist on Unix platforms)

Since it may not be entirely common knowledge, I probably should have
pointed out explicitly that Sun's own Java VM implementation does not
use native threads even on Solaris (Sun's own system, which supports
them), but instead uses a user-mode thread package which the Java team
wrote on their own, called "green threads".

I've never heard an authoritative statement of exactly *why* they did
this.  The most common third-hand rumor is that with Solaris native
threads (which was the first thing they tried), they had real trouble
getting all of the Java threads to reliably suspend themselves when
they wanted to do a garbage collection.

I am aware of a couple of reimplementations of the Java VM for unix;
all the ones I know about do their own threads, either for the same
reason or due to portability concerns.

rst