httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@en.muc.de (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject ProxyRemote and mod_negotiation.c ?!
Date Sun, 14 Jul 1996 10:23:44 GMT

I've currently playing with the proxy module and discovered a problem. I'm
not sure if it is really a bug or just a misconfiguration, etc.

On my machine en3.engelschall.com I have the following lines in the Apache
1.1.0 config:

   ProxyRequests  on
   ProxyPass      /en1  http://en1.engelschall.com

Now, when I request the URI http://en3.engelschall.com/en1/u/rse it gets
correctly rewritten by mod_proxy to "proxy:http://en1.engelschall.com/u/rse".
But then processing stops with an error due to mod_negotiation:

   [Sun Jul 14 12:07:29 1996] access to proxy:http://en1.engelschall.com/u/rse/
   failed for en1.engelschall.com, reason: cannot read directory for multi

This occurs because mod_negotation tries to opendir() this URI and gives back
these type of error messages if the opendir() failed.   Ok, I just did a
short hack and added

    if (strncmp(r->filename, "proxy:", 6) == 0)
        return DECLINED;

to the top of read_types_multi() in mod_negotiation.c, i.e. just before it
does the opendir() stuff, etc. ANY NOW IT WORKS CORRECTLY! Hmmm...

Can someone explain me, why mod_negotiation becomes this URI, tries to check
it and stops if it cannot be found? Is this a bug? Or did I made any
mistakes?

BTW: My mod_rewrite was not in the play at this tests, just to be sure
     that no other URI rewriting stuff occurs, too!

Any hints? Or need more details?
                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
                                        rse@en.muc.de
                                        http://www.muc.de/~rse