httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: project plan
Date Fri, 12 Jul 1996 22:42:12 GMT
Since my name is being taken in vain here ;-), I might as well get in
a *brief* two cents.

I've always felt that the performance benefits of threading are most
likely to be felt in servers which are serving large numbers of
transactions simultaneously, in that you wouldn't have an entire
server process (with its large RAM footprint) per transaction being
served.  That might have second order effects on raw speed, including
use of the freed up RAM for filesystem cache, and lowered
context-switch overhead (particularly on machines, such as some
SPARCs, which cache the last n MMU register settings from some
nontrivial, but relatively small, value of n).

However, this is intuition, and (as we've just seen a demonstration
live here on the mailing list), intuition isn't worth a whole heck
of a lot when it comes to identifying real bottlenecks.

rst