httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: project plan
Date Fri, 12 Jul 1996 22:23:38 GMT
> On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:
>
> > Not to ruin your evening with another benchmark... :)
> >
> > From comments I have read from RST and others, I'm not holding my
> > breath for a performance gain given by threading. From my understanding,
> > threading allows us to support some of the features in HTTP/1.1 more
> > easily which may provide increased performance.
>
> Not really. The sfio package lets us do that. Threading allows us to
> support HTTP-NG, which has a multiplexed transport layer, but for now
> that's somewhat beside the point.

That's right. I remember now that the "need" for threading comments
were for NG.

> > Correct me if I'm wrong, but threading alone is not the answer to
> > performance issues.
>
> Nothing alone is the answer, but threading should make the server perform
> faster. It does away with forking entirely, for one thing (remember the
> performance boost from 0.6 to 0.8, or NCSA 1.3 to 1.4?), which not only
> speeds execution, it dramatically reduces CPU and memory usage, which
> tends to have an uplifting performance benefit.

Hmmm. I was think that I remember you (Alexei) posting some *simple*
benchmarks of an early apache-XX that was no faster than the current
code. Since we're pre-forking, forking really isn't much of an issue
except during significant increases in demand on the server pool.

Nevertheless, I understand the desire to move that direction. I just
had not been expecting a lot from it in the performance area.