httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: project plan
Date Fri, 12 Jul 1996 21:40:56 GMT
> On Fri, 12 Jul 1996, Robert S. Thau wrote:
>
> >   I'd tend to have to agree with this.  First of all, any features you want
> >   for Apache can be held until the server becomes multi-threaded.  It has
> >
> > So, given all that, what is the good reason not to wrap up the easy bits
> > into a 1.2 release while we have 2.0 in the OR under general anesthesia
> > in another branch?
>
> Well, maybe I wasn't clear.  What I was say that from a standpoint of a
> webmaster, UNIX administrator, and C programmer, I see a multithreaded
> server as a very high priority as it should increase performance quite
> a bit.  Now perhaps when I said "any feature...could be held" I was
> vague in that the types of changes I was trying to reference were those
> that would not be thread safe.  Those types of changes will just cause
> two to three times more work since you would have to go back and make
> it completely thread safe later.

Not to ruin your evening with another benchmark... :)

>From comments I have read from RST and others, I'm not holding my
breath for a performance gain given by threading. From my understanding,
threading allows us to support some of the features in HTTP/1.1 more
easily which may provide increased performance.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but threading alone is not the answer to
performance issues.