httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: project plan
Date Fri, 12 Jul 1996 17:03:49 GMT
  I'd tend to have to agree with this.  First of all, any features you want
  for Apache can be held until the server becomes multi-threaded.  It has

Allow me to show my contrarian streak.  We actually have a fair number
of things lying around which could be wrapped up in 1.2 --- minimal
HTTP/1.1 compliance, PUT-handling, revised versions of certain modules,
etc., which could probably be wrapped up fairly quickly; certainly more
quickly than the threaded server could be brought to market.  There is
considerable interest in some of these items, and no obvious reason why
they should *have* to wait, and I think we can probably find a list
which *doesn't* conflict with any 2.0 work.  (I'm assuming here that
we really can restrict ourselves to the "easy" parts of HTTP/1.1, which
is actually most of it, as I suggested earlier; if not, this changes
things somewhat).

So, given all that, what is the good reason not to wrap up the easy bits
into a 1.2 release while we have 2.0 in the OR under general anesthesia
in another branch?

rst