httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: project plan
Date Fri, 12 Jul 1996 16:46:14 GMT
  (not all of HTTP/1.1, just the hard parts *grin*).

Hmmm... if I'm not mistaken, "the hard parts" of full HTTP/1.1 support
are sending (as opposed to receiving) chunked transfer-encoding (and
doing it without rewriting mod_ssi, mod_cgi, mod_asis, mod_dir &c).,
and byte-range support, and both are optional within the protocol.

If I'm right about both these things, the right strategy might be to
do the "easy" parts of HTTP/1.1 for an Apache-1.2 release, and save
the full-strength stuff for 2.0.  (Then again, if byte-range support
is restricted to plain files, the implementation no longer requires
quite so much deep voodoo...).

rst