httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: project plan
Date Fri, 12 Jul 1996 15:57:03 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> I've been thinking about this, and I'm leaning more towards not doing a
> 1.2 at all, skipping straight to 2.0. If we do make a 1.2, I'd strongly be
> in favor of the method I proposed in an earlier email, which I'll repeat:
> pick a date, like August 12. Work on Apache 1.2 until then. When that date
> hits, stop working on 1.2, no matter what. Release it (with a beta cycle
> taking a few more weeks or so), then start work on 2.0. That way we can't
> get stuck in the 0.6/0.7/0.8/1.1 rut, where a two-month proposed schedule
> gets dragged on for six months because we keep adding more stuff.
>
> But I think I'd perfer to just move to 2.0 right now.

2.0 requires that the threads lib be "ported" as well as "sfio". For some
of the systems that Apache currently works on, this may be non-trivial
(assuming, of course, that 2.0 is the threading version). This _must_
be considered. There is still "alot" we can do to improve Apache
without going to a threaded version, and I think we owe it to people
to make 1.2 as up-to-date as possible before 2.0, esp when right now
it looks like http 1.1 is doable/done with your patch.