httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject project plan
Date Fri, 12 Jul 1996 11:01:47 GMT
Brian Behlendorf writes:
 > On Thu, 11 Jul 1996, Alexei Kosut wrote:
 > > I say we move the development version to a threaded server immediately. I
 > > know others agree with me. Can we put it to a vote or something, so we can
 > > at least get a clear idea of where we're going, and how better to get
 > > there?
 >
 > It's now finally time to talk about where we go from here. :)

I think we should consider how much duplicate effort there will be if
we implement a lot of features in 1.2 that have to be re-implemented in
2.0 when rst pulls his threaded server in.

He's implied that it actually uses a lot of the current code, if that's
the case branching cvs is probably most appropriate and developing the
features in 1.2 and using cvs to merge them into 2.0, we don't waste any
effort on the HTTP 1.1 and autoconf stuff that way since it'll go into
2.0 at the same time.

We can release 1.2 in a few months time and then have a running start
on 2.0 as well that way.

It'd make it easier for rst to keep 2.0 in sync with 1.2 changes and make
it more accessible to people to try out before hand if they want to
play with it now. I'd certainly like to at least compile it and try it
out even if I don't have much time to do development, we'd identify some
of the major portability issues more quickly,  what do you think?

cvs really comes into it's own for doing this sort of thing.