httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Configurable nph filenames
Date Thu, 11 Jul 1996 18:49:56 GMT
  Is it a value, i.e. "CGI-buffering: 1024" means only buffer in 1024 byte
  chunks, or is it a boolean?  If it's a boolean I think we should keep it
  out of the CGI headers and make it another file type, a la the addhandler
  patch as posted.

Well, the reason for putting CGI- in the name is to try to avoid
collisions with future HTTP versions; that's the only thing I feel
strongly about.  As to the rest, we might want to take it to www-talk;
personally, I've never used the feature and have no strong feelings
either way.

However, as a matter of keeping the architecture clean, I would *not*
want Yet Another File Type --- for a single flag, it doesn't look too
bad, but once we had separate types for plain CGI, unbuffered scripts,
child-checked scripts, child-checked and unbuffered scripts, and all
the other combinations involving the *next* CGI flag bit, it really
would start to get hard to manage.

rst