httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Clapper <...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: Configurable nph filenames
Date Thu, 11 Jul 1996 17:41:52 GMT

>> Hmm, I think we already decided once not to have this, didn't we?

Rob> do you remember why?  It seems reasonable to me.

A couple of months ago, I submitted a patch to mod_cgi.  The patch
introduced a new configuration keyword, CGIDirectToClient, enabling a user
to tag a specific CGI script as being NPH by specifying the full path to
the script; it supported tagging multiple scripts.  As I recall, there was
a general objection to the introduction of a new configuration keyword, and
the discussion died rather quickly.

In any case, Paul Sutton's solution does not introduce a new keyword,
unlike mine.  It also bases its decision off the file's extension, rather
than off the full pathname.  For those reasons, his solution integrates
much more nicely into the existing Apache configuration than mine did.

Nevertheless, it won't help me. :-(

I originally patched mod_cgi because I needed to be able to tag an existing
script as NPH.  However, the script's name is fixed; other existing
software relies on the name, and (for stupid political reasons I won't go
into) I cannot force a name change.  The script's name, naturally, neither
begins with "nph-" nor has an extension.  So, as much as I'd like to move
toward Paul's solution, I'm stuck with mine.

It's an imperfect world.
----
Brian Clapper .............................................. bmc@telebase.com
http://www.netaxs.com/~bmc/ ............. PGP public key available on request
I think that God in creating man somewhat overestimated his ability.
        -- Oscar Wilde