httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: Too soon for 1.2 commits ??
Date Wed, 10 Jul 1996 11:55:39 GMT
Michael Smith writes:
 > Coincidentally, I have just found out that the Netscape caching
 > mechanism is case sensative.  Bit bizarre if you ask me but they didn't!

Ehh, I'd be a bit worried if it wasn't.

http://www.foo.com/THIS/LOCATION

is totally different to

http://www.foo.com/this/location

it'd be a bit annoying to get the former from the cache when you request
the latter.

But
http://www.foo.com/THIS/LOCATION

and

http://WWW.FOO.COM/THIS/LOCATION

are the same place and I would expect to be served from the cache..

I disagree with Rob about changing this. You might want to ignore
one but not the other and the change he requests would make that
impossible.

I'd be happy with regex functionality so if you specifically do want
to be case insensitive you can specify that yourself, making the server
default to being case insensitive is *broken* since the URL's are not
the same.