httpd-dev mailing list archives

From (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Too soon for 1.2 commits ??
Date Tue, 09 Jul 1996 22:34:46 GMT
  Oops... meant, of course, Ben and RST, since it was their code.

I've got no objections to integrating the code with 1.2.  FWIW, it may
be worth trying running with the code in for *all* systems in 1.2
internal releases, to see if there are any systems which cause

The "gentle close" behavior is pretty strongly recommended in the HTTP
1.1 drafts, because our current default close behavior (not waiting
for an ACK, and often sending a TCP reset) can potentially cause data
loss on *all* systems; we're just lucky that it seems not to happen
with ordinary web clients, and with most servers.  At the AI lab, we
actually have had problems which this patch would have solved with an
ordinary SunOS server, and *very* slow clients (Lisp Machines).

FWIW, for testing purposes, I was running with this code compiled in
on SunOS (I temporarily switched away from my threaded server, which
I've been running for the past month or so, to test the modified
mainline code), and it didn't seem to cause any problems.

View raw message