httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Nathan Neulinger" <nn...@umr.edu>
Subject Problem with apache interaction with shakey file system
Date Tue, 09 Jul 1996 13:20:41 GMT
We run our web servers off of AFS. Currently, the code is local, but the
server root is in AFS, logs is a symlink to a local filesystem.

Every once in a while we'll have an AFS server outage, which will cause
the file system to go away for a short time.

Unfortunately, apache accesses the scoreboard file through the logs
symlink located in AFS. When it fails to access the scoreboard file, it
starts sucking CPU. (This is on a HP-UX 9.0.5 machine.)

What I'd like to see if it's possible would be some way to cause apache
to temporarily revert to a 1-server model when it cannot access the
scoreboard file. It should obviously try to reattempt to access the
scoreboard file every so often...

Even having apache exit if it cannot access the scoreboard file would be
better than it eating cpu time.

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                  Univ. of Missouri - Rolla
EMail: nneul@umr.edu                    Computer Center
WWW: http://www.umr.edu/~nneul      SysAdmin: rollanet.org