httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@en.muc.de>
Subject Re: counters internal to web server
Date Sun, 07 Jul 1996 14:18:28 GMT
On 7 Jul 1996 15:18:40 +0200 in en.lists.apache-new-httpd you wrote:

> Has anyone ever thought of adding hit counters to be internal to the web
> server?  I'm playing with the idea now by adding it into the mod_include
> as <!--#counter --> with options to come in the near future.  What has
> been done about this type of thing in the past?
> [...]

There already is a nice module called mod_cntr.c from webcounter-1.1
distribution which has nice features:

   - adds automatically new URLs
   - maintains the information in a fast DBM file
   - supports access counts and date of last access count reset
   - gives out these information as SSI/CGI variables

I use this module on all of our servers and it runs fine. The best is: it is
fast because server-internal and it is a ASCII counter. I hate those big and
slow GIF-versions...

The mod_cntr can be found in the Apache module registry.

Greetings,
                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
                                        rse@en.muc.de
                                        http://www.muc.de/~rse