httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: heres a patch for mod_alias.c - does the per dir redirect correctly
Date Sat, 06 Jul 1996 17:11:30 GMT
Alexei Kosut liltingly intones:

> On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Nathan Neulinger wrote:
>
> > Changes made and attached...
> >
> > I'm not really part of the group, so someone else will have to do any
> > actual code changes...
>
> The revised patch looks fine. The question is, what to do next?
>
> We're going to have to release a 1.1.1, I see no way around
> it. However, there are a number of options.
>
> 1) Do we release it immediately (i.e. tomorrow or so) or wait a few
> more days or a week to see if there's anything else? We might not want
> to have a 1.1.15 by the end of the month. (though I seriously doubt
> there are really many more - if any - serious bugs).

If we want 1.1.x on the FreeBSD CD, we're going to have to cut a release
of some sort for them by Monday. Maybe we can give them 1.1 with what
we know of fixed, and cut 1.1.1 later. Otherwise, we may just have to
bite the bullet and figure on a 1.1.2 fairly soon, if any other stuff
of import comes in.

> 2) Do we make it a "quiet" release or a "noisy" one. i.e. do we just
> kinda replace 1.1.0 with 1.1.1, and not tell anyone, or do we
> advertise to the world "Hey! We screwed up! Everyone who downloaded
> 1.1, come get 1.1.1 or your machine might explode!"

Just the fax, ma'am. Word things in the tone of the infamous 1.0.4
release. Be up front, and just say what was wrong, what got fixed, etc.
Part of this group's reputation rests on not pulling punches on things
like release notes. There's no cause for self-flagellation, either.
The sooner, the better, IMHO.

> It's the 4th of July, so a lot of people are probably away... which
> makes it an inconveient time. But, on the other hand, most likely a
> lot of people running web servers are away too, so... FWIW, 272 people
> have downloaded Apache 1.1 via HTTP and 1147 via FTP, according to the
> logs. (though I'm not quite sure if those figures are right).

I'm still trying to reach a UnixWarez machine anywhere to see what's up
with compiling, hanging burping, etc. If I can get a look at this, I'd
like to get it into the next release cut. If not, ASAP thereafter.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.