httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Apache-1.1b5 now available from /httpd/dist/
Date Tue, 02 Jul 1996 23:47:20 GMT
  Could we add a note to Configuration.tmpl along the lines of

  "If you are using sunos 4.1.x's cc compiler, use -DSUNOS_LIB_PROTOTYPES"?

Doubly wrong --- the SunOS 4.1.x 'cc' is a very old, crusty thing that
can't handle prototypes and chokes on Apache; on SunOS, we effectively
require use of some ANSI compiler (whether Sun's own extra-cost acc,
lcc, or most commonly, gcc), and not the system 'cc'.  What causes
problems is not use of the GNU *compiler*, but rather the GNU
*libraries*, on systems on which they have been used to replace Sun's
own somewhat broken offerings.

The status quo here isn't pretty, I'll grant you, but that's because
we're trying to paper over a situation which is ugly to the core.
There may well be a better solution than the one we have, but I'd
prefer to put off looking for it until after the release of
1.1-final...

rst