httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: [Fwd: Re: Appache vs Netscape communications on a sgi???]
Date Tue, 02 Jul 1996 22:47:36 GMT
  Netscape server 1.x (communication/commerce) losses on almost every
  way comparing to Apache.  The exception is the format of the
  configuration files.  Apache's configuration file format is
  from NCSA.  It's ok for administrators, but is difficult to
  deal with if you write API programs because your API programs
  have to mess with the configuration directive.

Well, this is the first time I've ever seen anyone praise the Netscape
server config-file format.  Takes all kinds, I guess.

The complaint about having to "mess with the configuration directive"
does leave me a little mystified; it may be an allusion to the fact that
a command that fits *none* of the preparsed TAKE1/TAKE2/FLAG/... preparsed
formats effectively has to have its own parser written for it.  However,
the Netscape servers effectively support only a single format for
user-defined commands ("Mumblephase user-command-name option=value
option=value ..."), and adding support for preparsed option-value
lists wouldn't be hard at all if we ever found the need for it.  (I've
just never written one myself).

rst