httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: keepalive and windoze
Date Tue, 02 Jul 1996 02:43:48 GMT
Alexei Kosut liltingly intones:

> Good news and good news (of a sort)..
>
> I was able to snag a Windows 95 machine here at Organic, and tried out
> some things:
>
> 1) On Netscape 3.0b4, I was able to reproduce the bug, each and every
> time. It's really simple: go to the Network Setup panel. Set it to
> "Connect Every Time" and only let it have 1 connection at once (this may
> not be neccessary, but it's helpeful). Then load an image that's
> kept-alive. Then wait until the connection times out (this depends on the
> server - 10-30 seconds, except for MIIS, which never times out, near as I
> can tell). Then hit reload. It will hang. (actually, once it crashed).
>
> 2) This happens with all forms of server. Apache 1.1, Netscape 2.0,
> Spyglass 1.2, NCSA 1.5 (although, as stated, I couldn't test MIIS).
>
> 3) Netscape 3.0b5 does, indeed, *not* have this bug. At least, I couldn't
> get it to perform such. Yipee.
>
> So, we just put up a note on the web page. Make sure we say that all the
> servers have the bug, it's a Windows bug, and Netscape Navigator 3.0b5
> works around it. That way, no one can yell at us. Yes?

Good work, Alexei. I have *not* had the problem tonight with Netscape 2.02
and Trumpet WinSock under Win 3.1, but I did have the same results as you
with MSIE 1.5, MSIE 2.0, and Netscape 2.02 under Win 95 and the Microsoft
TCP/IP stack.

Let's extend the note to cover these known cases, too.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
It is against the law for a monster to enter the corporate limits of
Urbana, Illinois.