httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Lucid <lu...@secret.org>
Subject Server Side java support
Date Mon, 01 Jul 1996 23:40:15 GMT
Ok perhaps this feature will be done by 1.2 or so...

I am currently working on hacking Java VM support into apache
The idea behind this is to use a clean room implementation
of java VM/JIT that will use the BSD licensing scheme.
It looks like the best bet is to use "Kaffe" which is part of
the Java Open Language Toolkit (JOLT).

http://web.soi.city.ac.uk/homes/tim/kaffe/kaffe.html
http://www.redhat.com/jolt/

The question is How should this be done...

Ideas:
	java support in the core
	java support via CGI like interface
	java module support
	embedded java VM as a handler
	etc..

I am bothering to ask now because people will bitch later,
so hopefully by asking opinions now I will get less bitching...

I am planning to start on this sometime relativly soon,
if people can get me some idea of how they would like
java supported (if at all) it would be helpful.

-bill

BTW I wonder what the Netscape people are going to think about this...