httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: keepalive and windoze
Date Mon, 01 Jul 1996 21:16:09 GMT
Ben Laurie liltingly intones:

> Alexei Kosut wrote:

> > > There's a problem. It involves keepalive. The clients under Windoze don't
> > > seem to catch the connection close of one or more items transferred.
> > > Other servers don't do this.
> >
> > Other servers *don't* do this? I asked about this a bit ago, and no one
> > responded, so I had assumed it was something all servers did. I assume you
> > specifically checked these servers and the pages you were accessing to
> > make sure they were enabling keepalive? And that the bug is
> > well-reproducable enough with Apache that you can be sure it doesn't show
> > up on other servers? (Ben tells us letting the Keepalive time out, then
> > reloading the page will reproduce this)
> >

> Other servers _do_ do this. When it came up last time I spent considerable time
> with a network analyzer verifying that Apache (at least on my box) was doing
> _exactly_ what the TCP/IP spec says it should.
>
> Furthermore, last time round, Netscape fixed it. This time round they say it
> is fixed in 3.0b5. What more can I say?

If it *is* the problem, then we'd better say so in big letters somewhere
before the release, so we don't eat the PR on this.

I'll know more later. The data I have so far agrees with you, Ben.
Netscape 2.x on Windoze (at least 95) has the problem. So does MSIE.
That's why I suspected the TCP/IP stack in '95.

> > > It'd be embarrasing to release with this one still in there.
> >
> > Agreed. If it really does not show up with other servers that do
> > keep-alive, I will -1 any Apache release that has KeepAlive enabled by
> > default until we fix it (since that means it's fixable, even though it's
> > a Windows bug). With Windows being the most popular OS in the
> > browser market, I don't think its appropriate for the most popular server
> > (35% according to the July Netcraft - 15 point lead over NCSA) to not work
> > right with it.
>
> Agreed.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ben.
>

> > Doesn't that make sense?
> >
> > -- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>            The Apache HTTP Server
> >    http://www.nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us/~akosut/      http://www.apache.org/
> >

> --
> Ben Laurie                  Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435
> Freelance Consultant and    Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472
> Technical Director          Email: ben@algroup.co.uk
> A.L. Digital Ltd,           URL: http://www.algroup.co.uk
> London, England.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
They spell it "da Vinci" and pronounce it "da Vinchy".  Foreigners
always spell better than they pronounce.
		-- Mark Twain