httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Patches
Date Mon, 01 Jul 1996 16:09:31 GMT
  I think that we are still seeing valid changes and cleanup patches
  coming in like Andy and Jim's and would like to see them go into
  the 1.1 release.

Randy --- the mod_cern_meta patch was by no stretch of the imagination
a "cleanup" --- given the switch from per-server to per-directory
functionality, and the sheer number of lines that changed, I'd rate it
more like a "rewrite".  At any rate, that's certainly what I
considered my own per-directory version of the module from apache-XX,
and the reason I vetoed its inclusion when Alexei asked about it.

I'd also like to reiterate that every new patch that gets tossed in
creates the prospect of introducing new bugs.  That is why I very much
want to see patches between 1.1b4 and 1.1-final restricted to fixes for
severe bugs only.

As that implies, I'm afraid I disagree violently with the basic
"cleanup" argument itself.  *Any* change to the code, whether you call
it a cleanup or a clambake, risks introducing new bugs.  Introducing
several wholesale changes now, just before final release, because
somebody thinks they look nice --- which is what your "let's do
cleanups" notes seem to be arguing for --- would practically guarantee
nasty surprises.  I don't want any.

rst