httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Neulinger <nn...@umr.edu>
Subject Re: Netscape Server Central - Enterprise
Date Wed, 12 Jun 1996 23:03:58 GMT
Yikes... Damn... sorry about that... I just did something really stupid. I
hit reply to that message.

Unfortunately it went out to all... Woops... Somebody hand me an egg, I'll
do it myself.

-- Nathan

At 5:59 PM 6/12/96, Nathan Neulinger wrote:
> I never figured a developer's list could be so entertaining... *laugh*
>
> -- Nathan
>
> At 5:46 PM 6/12/96, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > 'James W. Ash' wrote
> > >
> > >This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
> > >
> > >--------------3B448D50
> > >
> > >Take a look at this datasheet Rob.  I think it says it all.  Thanks.
> > >

>>http://home.netscape.com/comprod/server_central/product/enterprise/index.h
>tml
> >
> > I had a quick look but I can't find anything there that would tie in
> > with your theory that I'd be much happier with Netscape than Apache.
> > I only see lots of bells a whistles such as WYSIWYG editing (I prefer 'vi'
> > because it produces legal HTML), and Java (which I don't like because it
> > has more holes in it than OJ's alibi).
> >
> > What do users of Netscape Enterprise Server really love about it that
> > they can't get for free with Apache?.
> >
> > Before I'd consider switching I need to be sure that things would
> > continue to work.
> > Will my conditional HTML work?, Berkeley DB authentication?, Can I stamp
> > outgoing HTTP headers with Expires so that I can work around the Netscape
> > browser daylight savings bug? will my imagemap tables need to be
>regenerated?,
> > how about content negotiation, will that still work? '.asis' file types?
> >
> > Are there plans to support fast-cgi and Apache's mod_fast_perl ?
> >
> > I'm mostly interested in performance, the documentation says
> >  "Third-generation HTTP engine. Built on a third generation, highly
>efficient
> >   HTTP engine with the ability to serve static and dynamic HTML
>documents and
> >   applications at maximum network capacity. "
> >
> > does that mean that your server can fill a T3 line?
> >
> > You only list 6 unix OSes that are supported. Will I have to go back to
> > Apache if I need to change hardware or OS that you don't support, would
> > I get a refund under those conditions?
> >
> > I currently run 3 servers on 3 machines, would I have to buy a
> > copy for each of them?  and would the machine in the UK need to run
> > the less secure version of SSL?
> >
> > Are there any newsgroups offering free support?
> >
> > If I have any more questions should I sned them to you?
> >

> > thanks,
> > rob

Nathan Neulinger                  Univ. of Missouri - Rolla
EMail: nneul@umr.edu                  Computing Services
WWW: http://www.umr.edu/~nneul      SysAdmin: rollanet.org