httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Neulinger <nn...@umr.edu>
Subject Re: Apache 1.1b4... where is it?
Date Mon, 17 Jun 1996 17:08:30 GMT
> Right now I don't see Apache being sooo difficult to change over to some
> sort of autoconfig setup, but I also don't see it as all that bad right
> now.  A simple shell script that maybe steps through the optional
> module and asks if you want them included and which then runs Configure
> for you might be a good idea. Maybe a directory of Makefiles (which
> includes makefile.solaris, makefile.hpux, makefile.aux, etc...)
> would also be a help as well.

I personally don't see too much wrong with the current setup, and while
autoconfig would be nice, I would almost rather see something else.

The biggest complaint I have is in adding in the module code, and in the
way modules have to be hand added to the configuration file, particularly
if they need compiler flags or libraries.

What I would almost like to see is some sort of module meta-file that would
accompany each module, and have this metafile, as well as the module itself
located in a subdirectory just for modules.

This metafile could contain information in it that would be processed by
the configure script.

Information it could contain:
        Module source file names

        Dependencies (i.e. must come before certain modules, must come
after modules) - this would not be something that you'd want to use very
often, but would be good for cases of an "override" or "replacement"
module, such as the config log module.

        Libraries needed

        Compiler flags needed

        Information that is not required for the compile, but would be
useful module information to maintain, and could be used for generating
documentation, etc. such as the module maintainer, release date, version,
etc.

This module metafile could be a relatively straightforward extension to the
stuff that the mmodule registry is currently maintaining.

Combine this with a subdir of hints or configurations for particular
architectures, and it would be much nicer.

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                  Univ. of Missouri - Rolla
EMail: nneul@umr.edu                  Computing Services
WWW: http://www.umr.edu/~nneul      SysAdmin: rollanet.org