httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Douglass <>
Subject Re: Style list summary
Date Wed, 26 Jun 1996 19:30:40 GMT
On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:

> I would be against free voting on this list for two reasons:
> 1. Time. It already takes long enough to resolve issues with the small number
> of people we have.

> 2. Value of vote. As it stands, most people in the Group are here because of
> their expertise in some area. What is a vote from a person whose only
> demonstrated skill is the ability to send mail worth?

To true.. Especially in the light of the current vote taking place on C coding
style; where only those people who have a moderate to extensive background
in coding can even appreciate.  I've discovered that novice coders just
cannot understand how important it is to write readable code.  (ie. A friend
of mine had given me a program she wrote to look over; and she was getting
quite upset at me because I would make continuous comments about how hard
it was to read her code.  :)

As for my credibility, it should be more than demonstrating skill in the
ability to send email...  (At least I hope.)  I am an avid C programmer
by hobby as well as career.  I admin 10 Sparcs and 1 SGI for an Internet
Service Provider; and I have to do some sort of C programming every week
or I just might shrivel up and crumble into a thousand bits.  (It's kinda
like drugs; I gotta have it... :)

I would definitely like to become a part of the Apache Group and do some
developmental work on the server; but first I need to actually look through
the entire code base for the server and learn it.  I remember it's quite
a bit more complex than the NCSA. (Complex in the way it handles alot of
memory allocation and other such items internally; which is an interesting
concept that I'd like to have time to explore...)   Hrmm.. Who am I trying
to convince here?  The Apache Group? or my watch?  I think I've just
typed myself into spending several hours with the Apache code and learning
it inside and out...  Hmm...... Didn't someone mention that they knew a good
psychologist here a while back?  I might need a reference or two.  Thanks!

Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

  "To be a saint is to be an exception; to be a true man is the rule.
   Err, fail, sin if you must, but be upright.  To sin as little as
   possible is the law for men; to sin not at all is a dream for angels."

              - Victor Hugo, "Les Miserables"

View raw message