httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Douglass <miked...@texas.net>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "srm.conf-dist has invalid Meta* lines" on Linux (fwd)
Date Thu, 13 Jun 1996 15:59:25 GMT

> On a similar note - would anyone mind if, similar to our virtualhost
> documentroot quandry, our default for unrecognized config file directives
> was a warning to stdout and not a process abort?
>
> 	Brian

"Warning: srm.conf not found"

As an experienced operator of web servers, I would know this is a problem;
but an inexperienced person (which there are alot of) would shrug his
shoulders, yell to his buddies that it's running...  And he wouldn't
realize until later that the srm.conf had some very important things in
it that he had to have...

I wouldn't suggest it.  I know that when my web server doesn't start, there
is a reason for it.

Just looking out for the newbies...  (we were all one once!)

Michael Douglass
Texas Networking, Inc.

  "To be a saint is to be an exception; to be a true man is the rule.
   Err, fail, sin if you must, but be upright.  To sin as little as
   possible is the law for men; to sin not at all is a dream for angels."

              - Victor Hugo, "Les Miserables"