httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Usr of ".map." in file name causes problems" on HPUX (fwd)
Date Fri, 28 Jun 1996 22:28:44 GMT
On Fri, 28 Jun 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> While I think in this situation it might be better to make sure that the
> included file can actually be included (i.e., text/*,
> application/x-httpd-cgi or whatever) I think a fix like the below would be

How would you tell? Unix (well, most of 'em) doesn't
carry metainformation on a file's data type other than what can be gleamed
by its filename. If you have a file called "foo.map" (ignore this guy's
mail for a minute"), there's no way to tell that it actually has a GIF
image stored inside, other than looking at the file.

> appropriate as well.  We should at least try and prevent cores no matter
> what garbage the server is pointed at.

Nah, I think it's a feature. ;)