httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "keepalives fail from Windoze machines" on BSDI
Date Wed, 26 Jun 1996 23:53:27 GMT
On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> >Access from Windoze machines loses with KeepAlives turned on.

This is really starting to bug me. Out of curiosity, does this just happen
with Apache, or other web servers, too? Has anyone tried NCSA httpd or
Spyglass or Netscape Enterprise/FastTrack, or any of the other web servers
that support persistent connections? Heck, MIIS supports Keep-Alive, and
its their operating system that this bug is related to, yes?

If it's really something Apache does that makes it not work, there's got
to be a way to fix it. Otherwise, can we go yell at Microsoft? But
really, the newest version of every major HTTP server supports Keep-Alive.
If there really was such a bug in Windows, wouldn't you think browser
manufacturers would have turned the darn thing off by now? *sigh* Has
anyone asked the browser manufacterures about this? Have they said
anything?

FWIW, poking at a couple servers (www.apache.org, hoohoo.ncsa.uiuc.edu,
www.spylgass.com, www.microsoft.com and help.netscape.com - you guess
which one runs each server), I noted that all the servers but one time out
in a "reasonable" amount of time when waiting for additional requests
(Apache: 15 seconds, NCSA: 30, Spyglass: 10, Netscape: 15) - Microsoft's.
I waited around for at least ten minutes, and it never timed out on me.
Maybe that was their way around their own OS's bug? On the other hand, it
might not be. After all, RST's apache-XX does the same thing (because with
threads, it's almost without cost to keep connections around forever,
until you run out of fds). But that was an interesting note...

> >Turning off KeepAlive seems like it should be a global
> >effect, but I have to do it in each virtual host section.  There
> >does not seem to be a way to set it at the top level and
> >make it the default for all virtual hosts, too.

Hmm. This should probably work like that, but it doesn't. :)