httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <>
Subject Re: Authoring support?
Date Mon, 24 Jun 1996 05:17:37 GMT
On Sun, 23 Jun 1996, Robert S. Thau wrote:

> Oh, dear.  As I said, Netscape will do this sometimes... if NS Gold
> really is the problem, then killing the editor window and opening a new

It's really the problem. Happens to me, too, and I'm using the Mac
version, so odds are not good that all of our machines just happen to have
the same bug, in the OS or the TCP stack or whatnot.

> one with a local copy of the file will sometimes clear the blockage.
> (Unfortunately, the way Netscrape did their "Publish" dialog, you're
> damn near guaranteed to get a errors on the first few times you try
> to use it --- when it asks you "Location to publish to" (or whatever),
> you'd think it's asking for the complete URL you want the thing to
> have after it's saved, but in fact, it's asking you for the name of
> a *directory*, and it appends the last component of the name of the
> local copy to do the PUT.  So you need to type *exactly*

Yeah. Ugh. Took me a while to figure this one out, too. I think Netscape
intended that they would sell (remember, it's a $79 product,
theoretically) Navigator Gold to ISPs, who would configure it for use with
their servers and ship it to their users.

> into that box --- no more, no less --- or you'll get an error, and
> PUTs after that are *very* likely to hang).

Yep. Interestingly, I figured out that the "hang" happens after it's sent
the headers, but before it's sent the file (I think). Which is

-- Alexei Kosut <>            The Apache HTTP Server

View raw message