httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: HTTP/1.1 and colons and things
Date Tue, 18 Jun 1996 21:41:30 GMT
On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Robert S. Thau wrote:

> Alexei --- this is a messy situation, but the saving grace is that
> right now, almost nobody is sending quality values at all, so their
> syntax, in practical terms, doesn't matter much.

Right. The problem is, that it will just get worse in time. I mean, I'm
not worried about servers having to read both ; and : - we can do that.
I'm worried about existing servers that only understand ; (i.e. Apache)
getting requests that contain : and Bad Things happening (which they will,
unfortunately, as I explained in my last message).

> That said, the question of how to deal with this stuff is a messy
> one.  I overhead some of the W3C folk trying to figure out what all
> to have Jigsaw to do with this, and the best they came up with was
> to accept the ':' if present, and treat ';q=blah' as if it had been
> ':q=blah' in an HTTP/1.0 request for back compatbility.  In any case,
> if we have to do anything about this at all for our own 1.1 release,
> I think that since we're only claiming to do HTTP/1.0 anyway, treating
> ':' and ';' equivalently is *probably* enough of a stopgap.

Well, certainly we can do that. But then, there are, according to
Netcraft, over 60,000 servers out there running Apache 1.0.x... We can't
fix those.

> Unless (once again), I'm missing something...

Well, I sincerely hope *I'm* missing something.