httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "<Location> tag in .htaccess" on SunOS 4.x (fwd)
Date Tue, 18 Jun 1996 17:55:00 GMT
On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Carl W. Kalbfleisch wrote:

[...]

> Protecting the htpasswd file is the specific example which I have
> found that I can accomplish with this method.  I beleive a general
> case would be possible for our customers if <Location> were allowed
> in .htaccess.  For instance a directory with ten files all with
> different access permissions.
>
> If I have missed something (like another tag) that would allow this
> functionality to be achieve, I would appreciate your direction on
> this.  Again, I appreciate your prompt reply.

Hmm. No, you are correct, the <Location> directive is currently the only
way to provide this functionality in Apache. While we are currently
working on the final release of Apache 1.1, we'll try to look into a
solution to allow users to protect individual files individually for the
next Apache release, possibly allowing <Location> within .htaccess files.

Unfortunately, I cannot think of a way to do this with the current
release. You seem to be correct in that.

Thanks for using Apache!

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>
   The Apache HTTP Server http://www.apache.org