httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "<Location> tag in .htaccess" on SunOS 4.x (fwd)
Date Tue, 18 Jun 1996 17:01:49 GMT
On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, wrote:

> This is not so much as a bug, but a question
> that I can not locate the answer to on the doc
> pages.
> Is it possible or planned to allow the <Location>
> tag within .htaccess files so that users can
> configure URL based access themselves without
> requiring modification to the server configuration
> files?

No. The main reason to use a <Location> directive would be to configure
URL areas that don't really exist. The server status module, for example.
If you have a URL already translated into a filename, then should be no
need for a <Location> directive. Any command that can be put there can be
put into a <Directory> directive or .htaccess file (assuming
AllowOverrides is so configured), and there is no real reason, so far as I
can see, to allow <Location> directives in .htaccess files. While there
are probably some things that might be made a bit easier if they were,
they can all be accomplished without it.

There are several security issues involved with allowing <Location> in
.htaccess files, as well. Unless someone could demonstrate a situation
where it would be impossible to accomplish something without having a
<Location> directive in an .htaccess file, we have no plans to allow it.

Thanks for using Apache!

-- Alexei Kosut <>
   The Apache HTTP Server

View raw message