httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: YA threaded server snapshot.
Date Thu, 13 Jun 1996 17:25:20 GMT
On Thu, 13 Jun 1996, Robert S. Thau wrote:

> Well, ftp.ai.mit.edu is a CNAME for one of the lab's main fileservers,
> so if it was down entirely, I'd probably know about it.  I can't be so
> sure about the ftp server, but I just connected to it from another local
> host, so it at least seems to be there now.

I can get to ftp.ai.mit.edu fine... working perfectly.

Which I can't say for the threaded server itself. I'm trying to get it to
work on a Solaris 2.5 machine. I've been able to compile all the various
parts, and get a binary out of it, which runs. But whenever I try to
telnet into it, it closes the connection right away, and I get a "read
lost connection to client" in the error log. (and a "NULL" 200 - in the
access log, which is how you get those, I guess)

The really wierd part is that it *does* work about 75% of the time when
I access the web server from Netscape (3.0b4, the Unix version).
Telnetting directly to the server *never* works, nor does using lynx. But
Netscape for some reason works. I imagine it has something to do with the
way Netscape opens a TCP connection; being required to link libsocket
statically doesn't give me the warm fuzzies either, maybe it has something
to do with that. Anyone have any ideas?

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>
   http://www.nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us/~akosut/