httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: WebNFS?...
Date Sat, 08 Jun 1996 01:49:40 GMT
On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> > Are these people talking about URLs of the form
> > 'webnfs://foo.com/resource', and if so would there be a separate
> > webnfs server or would there bee a desire to integrate a mod_webnfs.c
> > into Apache?
>
> No, they are just marketing without a clue.  Does it go through firewalls,
> or is it just
>
>     file:/net/foo.com/resource
>
> in a fancy wrapper?  Actually, I don't care -- I'm just tired of being
> asked questions like "why use HTTP when (A|N)FS already exists ...".
> If they don't know by now, then my answer wouldn't satisfy them either.

This is just about it.  We told them all the same things - their response
was that file:/ was insufficient since there is no mapping to a host in
that URL, the mapping happens via /etc/fstab or something beyond the
control of the average user.  So they need

nfs://host/path/

to be able to get to nsf hosts which aren't directly mounted.

The hilarious part (or not) is that NFS is one of 8 or so protocols in
the industry-defined "Network Computer Reference Platform" - the others
are such favorites as SMTP, FTP, POP, HTTP, and others.

	Brian

brian@organic.com  |  We're hiring!  http://www.organic.com/Home/Info/Jobs/