httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: No HOST header solutions?
Date Sun, 02 Jun 1996 01:06:02 GMT
On Sat, 1 Jun 1996, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> Some of it has to go in the core, yeah. The reson for that is so that
> you can identify the correct virtual host, something you can't do from
> a module or, especially, from a CGI script. This is the main
> disadvantage with the approach in host.html using Alias, and was what
> Rob Hartill was complaining about.
>
> Using the Alias approach, with non-Host-sending browsers, the requests
> end up being in the main server's config setup, not the virtual
> server's. So if you have seperate log files, they end up in the wrong
> place. Similarly with redirects and error messages and all that other
> fun stuff that can't be set per-directory.

There are other things such an infrastructure should probably support for
people to really trust it - setting the DOCUMENT_ROOT variable to the
vhost's, modifying paths relative to docroot in parsed HTML files and imap
files, etc.  It just feels like the slippery slope, that
if we make the implicit promise that this will "work", there's a lot of
extra cruft that will end up in the server because people rely on this.

It's not hard to write a perl tool which will pluck out requests for
/vhost/* in the original server's logfiles, strip off the "/vhost" from
the object name in the request, and merge it into the vhost's logfiles.
it's also not hard to write a perl tool to take <VirtualHost> directives
and map them into a <Location> or <Directory> section, too.

I'm just in a really big KISS streak recently, and while I don't care as
much about cruft being added to modules, cruft in the core *must* be
highly justified.  I can definitely see how doing so here alleviates
certain inconveniences, but I'd rather see if there's out-of-band
solutions.

	Brian

brian@organic.com  |  We're hiring!  http://www.organic.com/Home/Info/Jobs/