httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: mod_cern_meta.c - MetaFiles <on|off>
Date Mon, 24 Jun 1996 02:21:09 GMT
On Mon, 24 Jun 1996, Andrew Wilson wrote:

> I don't understand what the phrase 'constructs and manipulates only
> server-side state' means.  Possibly it is a term coined in one of
> those mail messages I missed last week.  Any clues?

No, no. What RST is reffering to, although he's using odd terms
(especially since he coined the originals) are server config versus
per-directory config. See, Apache has two different types of
configurations. This is why there are four configuration phases, not
two. See, server configurations are made for each virtual host when
the server starts up, and they just hang around in memory, and the
request gets a pointer to them. per-directory configs are made up for
each request, based on what file the request points out. They are
rather different - you can't just take a server config state, change
the command_rec entry from RSRC_CONF to OR_WHATEVER and expect it to
work. Because it won't. (actually, it might, but it's a Bad Idea). You
need to use per-directory configuration vectors instead of per-server
ones.

Take a look, for example, at the configuration in mod_mime.c vs. the
configuration in mod_alias.c. The former is per-directory, the second
is per-server.