httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Apache 1.1b4... where is it?
Date Sun, 16 Jun 1996 06:23:21 GMT
On Sat, 15 Jun 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> > And here I was hoping to continue the tradition of releasing Apache
> > servers within six hours of seeing The Rock (it was good), as Brian
> > started. So it wasn't a completely wasted evening. That, and I got a
> > Tony Turbo toy car from Chevron... not sure I should have spent $6 on
> > the thing, but it's so cute...
>
> The Chevron ads are from a British company that brought Wallace
> & Gromit to the world... from animator Nick Park who's won 3 oscars.
> Well worth checking out are "The Wrong Trousers" and "A Close Shave".
> W & G fridge magnets sell for ~$22 - a tad more expensive than Tony.

Heck, for that kind of money I could have gotten Wendy Wagon and Sam
Sedan too...

At any rate, while we're waiting on the fate of 1.1b4, I thought I'd
share my Thoughts for the Future, or 1.2 at least. For Apache 1.2, the
three main things I'd like to see are, in rough chronological order,
are:

1) Threading
2) Autoconfiscation
3) HTTP/1.1 compliance.

I've been playing with RST's apache-XX package, and on the systems
I've tried (HP-UX 9.04 and Solaris 2.5) it works very well. I'd like
to see it be put into the development tree first thing after 1.1.0 is
released, since I think threading is an important part of the future
of web servers (in the short-medium term, at least). I mean, heck, if
Spyglass can make their $15,000 server threaded, why can't we make our
free one threaded? (hmm...)

However, no doubt the threading package will induce major portability
problems. Which is where I'd hope autoconf will help. While at the
least, we'll have to identify which Unix features (I use the term
loosly) are needed to make the dern thing run, autoconf should (I
hope) spare us from having to determine which systems have those
features. And since it seems to be the future anyhow, it'd be a shame
to spend a month (or more) making it work everywhere, just to have
autoconf come along and make all that work useless. In other words,
I'd hope we could have Apache 1.2 autoconfiscated very soon after it
turns threaded.

As for the latter, it's probably the simplest, code-wise, especially
since once we've got chunked transfer-coding (which apache-XX), the
rest of being conditionally compliant with 1.1 is about ten or twenty
lines of code. Of course, it'd be ideal if we were unconditionally
compliant, but anyhow. And, of course, I'd perfer not to repeat the
HTML 3.0 fiasco on the browser side, so we should probably wait for
the IESG to approve HTTP/1.1 as a proposed standard before calling
ourselves such. Hmm. But we knoy Roy promised that Apache'd be the
first HTTP/1.1 server out there. However, my bet is that steps 1 and 2
will take us, oh, at least a month or two. It's been six since Apache
1.0 was released. So somebody else might beat us to the first HTTP/1.1
server.

Well, my brain feels like its turning into clam chowder, which is
either due to 1) I'm tired, or 2) I've got Weird Al on my CD player,
and he's turned up way too loud. Probably a combination of the two.

Thoughts?