httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: 1.1b3 to be built tonight
Date Mon, 10 Jun 1996 02:29:32 GMT
On Sun, 9 Jun 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Unless I hear otherwise (if someone's doing this please tell me,) I will be
> building 1.1b3 tonight, after seeing "The Rock".  A couple of questions

Hear that's good... tried to see it yesterday, but it was sold
out. *sigh*

> 1) I presume I can change the server_version right before releasing this,
> ja?

There should probably be a standard set of instructions for making a
distribution... something like:

* change SERVER_VERSION in httpd.h (and commit said change)
* tag it: cvs tag APACHE_1_1b3 (at some point, we may want to branch too)
  (note: be sure to tag the whole thing, not just src)
* make an export version of the distribution: cvs export -Dnow Apache
* Copy Configuration.tmpl to Configuration
* Remove RULES.CVS file and various .cvsignore files (in src/ and support/)
* Tar, compress/gzip and release.
* change SERVER_VERSION to next-version-dev (and commit said change)

I think that's it.

> 2) The "CHANGES" file has barely been touched.  Can the CVS gurus tell me
> how I can see all the comments from all the commits since 1.1b2, so I can
> update CHANGES?

Ideally, you would use:

cvs log -rAPACHE1_1b2:

except that no one so tagged 1.1b2 (oops), so you can't do that. So
you have to go by date:

cvs log -d\>"1996/04/23 20:14:00"

With April 23, 1996 at 20:14 being the time that 1.1b2 was released
(which it was). Or you could just go look at the apache-cvs mail
archives. It might be simpler.

> 3) I will update the web site with references to 1.1b3, and send an
> announcement just to apache-announce.  I will indicate this is our last
> beta, that it has covered all the bugs we have been notified of that we
> could verify, and that 1.1 final is due within one week.

I wouldn't... say "soon". At least then we can't be accused of
lying. We can just say "we meant soon, relative to the age of the
universe."

And there's at least one bug, that's verified, is pretty important,
that isn't fixed yet: When running as inetd (yes, ugh), non-200
a simple fix, but it's counter to your statement at any rate. Say
instead that "many bugs have been fixed" or some such.

Thanks!