httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: 1.1b3 and things???
Date Sun, 09 Jun 1996 17:37:22 GMT
On Sun, 9 Jun 1996, Robert S. Thau wrote:

> Hmmm... I'm not sure this is really a problem.  "Connection: Keep-alive"
> isn't particularly meaningful to an HTTP/1.1 client, but it's not illegal,
> and it doesn't alter the status of the connection (persistent by default).

Probably true. But I don't think we should send it. (saves us 23 bytes
per request at any rate).

> HTTP/1.1 clients *do* have to be special-cased, since the absence of
> a Connection header (or *any* Connection header which doesn't contain
> the token "Close") signals a request for a persistent connection on an
> HTTP/1.1 request.  However, I don't think the server's protocol version
> enters into it.  At any rate, the version of set_keepalive in the
> threaded code implements this interpretation of the rules, and I *believe*
> it ought to work with both HTTP/1.0 and conforming 1.1 clients.

Nope. Think about it; at least, think about it the way I'm thinking
about it (which may not be correct):

I'm a HTTP/1.1 client. I don't understand any of that HTTP/1.0
Keep-Alive stuff, I just know the HTTP/1.1 version. I send a request,
tagged with HTTP/1.1, to a server. This server is an Apache that
understands HTTP/1.1 persistent connections, but calls itself a
HTTP/1.0 server.

Now, what do I get back?

HTTP/1.0 200 OK