httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Survey results...
Date Mon, 03 Jun 1996 22:00:24 GMT
On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > BTW, someone on this list (anonymous unless he comes forward) told me
> > that he'd changed the server ID from Apache to Netscape in order to get
> > onto the Netscape galleria page :-)
>
> I know of a number of sites which have done this.  Is it time to add some
> other hidden "validating feature"?  :)

Well, there's actually a simple way of figuring it out. Check the date
formats. If it's a server that conforms to the HTTP spec, like Apache,
it might send:

Date: Mon, 03 Jun 1996 21:52:25 GMT

On the other hand, if it doesn't conform to the spec, like (say)
Netscape's servers, it might send:

Date: Monday, 03-Jun-96 21:52:25 GMT

I don't know about the 2.0 servers, but Netscape Communications and
Commerce through 1.1 do that. (Navigator does too, I think,
still). Don't know why they don't switch... maybe they figure their
products have less than a four year lifespan, or they secretly plan to
go out of business in 1999, so they don't have to deal with it.

I read an article in (I think it was) Time the other day about how the
"year 2000 problem" is going to cost corporate America something like
$750 million dollars, and only half the companies are going to be able
to be ready in time. I dunno... if companies start charging me in 1900
prices instead of 2000, given the current rates of inflation... I
don't think I'd mind :)

      "War does not determine who is right, only who is left."