httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: wild prediction
Date Mon, 03 Jun 1996 03:56:09 GMT
On Sun, 2 Jun 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Jun 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > off topic and a setuid free mail message..
>
> Oh, I really shouldn't be doing this.

But it's fun... right?

[snip]

> are so different that existing operating systems will have to change at a
> very deep level to truely live up to the new rules.  The three contenders
> for this new "platform" (which could sit on existing operating systems,
> or even by itself) are:
>
> Microsoft's ActiveX/OLE/COM/whatever
> JavaVM/JavaOS
> Whatever framework Netscape decides to push (LiveConnect?)

I'd throw in OpenDoc, assuming Apple and co. can really get its act
together soon, as it claims it can. One advantage of OpenDoc is that
it can already use OLE peices, and within the year (so they claim)
it'll have Java built in too. Which takes care of 2/3 of your list.
And while I don't have the hardware (here at home) to try it, people
keep claiming Cyberdog (Apple's OpenDoc-based Internet architecture)
is "really cool".

I might mention that (at least from what I've read - I wasn't there)
at Apple's recent World-Wide Development Conference, they were able to
demostrate both Java applets and Netscape plugins running as OpenDoc
parts directly. And Netscape supposedly committed itself to making a
version of Navigator that used OpenDoc.

      "War does not determine who is right, only who is left."