httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: cvs problem
Date Sun, 02 Jun 1996 18:21:42 GMT
On Sun, 2 Jun 1996, Aram Mirzadeh wrote:

> Doing a cvs update should overwrite any changes that I made correct?  The

Nope. From the man page cvs(1):

      update
           Bring your working directory up to date with changes from the
           repository.  Merges are performed automatically when possible; a
           warning is issued if manual resolution is required for
           conflicting changes.  (Changes working directory; does not change
           repository.)

Specifically, cvs update's purpose is to make your working directory
up to date, while leaving in your changes. This is very useful. But
sometimes, as you've seen, the changes don't match. So you have to
resolve them manually. (see merge(1) on specifically how to do this).

> above was during a cvs update to wipe what I was testing.   <shrug> I'll just
> remove the file and just grab it.

rm + cvs update does work to wipe what you've done. I use it all the
time (to answer Ben's thought).

      "War does not determine who is right, only who is left."