httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: No HOST header solutions?
Date Sat, 01 Jun 1996 23:48:02 GMT
On Sat, 1 Jun 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> I think this is something that belongs in CGI land instead of inside the
> server, sincethis is really only an issue for the request for the root
> object (http://www.apache.org/), and one could use index.cgi to look at
> HTTP_HOST and decide where to redirect people to.  This would have to go
> into the core, right?  If it were a module I'd be less adamant about not
> wanting to put stopgap solution cruft in the server.

Some of it has to go in the core, yeah. The reson for that is so that
you can identify the correct virtual host, something you can't do from
a module or, especially, from a CGI script. This is the main
disadvantage with the approach in host.html using Alias, and was what
Rob Hartill was complaining about.

Using the Alias approach, with non-Host-sending browsers, the requests
end up being in the main server's config setup, not the virtual
server's. So if you have seperate log files, they end up in the wrong
place. Similarly with redirects and error messages and all that other
fun stuff that can't be set per-directory.

      "War does not determine who is right, only who is left."