httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: patch? (Patch to fix the fatal missing VHost dir)
Date Sat, 01 Jun 1996 22:11:21 GMT
On Sat, 1 Jun 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:

> After past comments from Alexei, I made this more generic which probably
> makes what you describe even more of an issue. I agree with Alexei's
> suggestion. I think, as you point out, that building a .conf file from
> your users subdirs is probably safest from your point of view.

I agree. For one thing, unless you're running the server from inetd,
the users are going to need some way to send a SIGHUP to the server
so it rereads the config file. I ran into this problem a couple months
ago. While it's not hard to write a setuid program to do this, it's
less intuitive than it might be. (although Apache's config files
aren't neccessarily intuitive to begin with)

Random feature thought: a feature to let Apache "watch" config files,
and when they change, reread them automatically. Of course, this
entails better error handling than we have now. Any situation where
non-admin people can edit raw config files gets ugly, since Apache
dies if it reads an invalid config entry.

So you may be better off preparsing all your user config files anyway.

      "War does not determine who is right, only who is left."