httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Multi-processor kernel panic and dump" on SCO
Date Sun, 30 Jun 1996 19:43:53 GMT
Rob Hartill wrote:

> I'll pass th info on to the developers list.
>
> cheers,
> rob
>
> >Submitter: hinmanj@oro.net
> >Operating system: SCO, version: 5
> >Version of Apache Used: 1.0.5
> >Extra Modules used: none
> >URL exhibiting problem: System is currently offline
> >
> >Symptoms:
> >--
> >System crashes with the following message:
> >PANIC: assertion failed: mp !=NULL, file:syscalls.c,
> >line: 391
> >CPU2: Trying to dump 16287 pages.....(dumpdev info, etc..)

Clearly nothing Apache does should cause the system to crash. This is really
SCO's problem. That said, it would be interesting to know what caused the
problem, and consider working around it. Have you reported the problem to SCO?

> >Only happens when apache is receiving hits.  We have
> >other installations running SCO's multi-processor
> >code under significant load without a hitch?

I'm not aware of any feedback on that.

> >Please help if possible.
> >--
> >
> >Backtrace:
> >--
> >It's dumping core, but not leaving any register
> >information behind, which is really strange.
> >
> >Thanks for any help you might offer.
> >
> >Here's a question...does apache support multi-
> >processors?

Apache has no need to support multi-processors. That's the OS's job. It's
possible that future releases could take advantage of them.

Cheers,

Ben.

> >--
>

> --
> Rob Hartill (robh@imdb.com)
> The Internet Movie Database (IMDb)  http://www.imdb.com/
>            ...more movie info than you can poke a stick at.

London, England.